|The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal Volumes 1 and 2 on sale now - Volume 3 on sale May 20! - tjandamal.com|
Establishing a Process for Better ArtMany of you are likely to have at least a general grasp on what I'm going to talk about, but for just as many, if not more people, this is going to be new and very beneficial to your progress and success as an artist.Establishing a Process for Better Art by Rahll
The topic of discussion today is process. We all have a process for our work, some of us are very meticulous, while others are more sporadic, but there's generally a few basic steps that any successful artist is likely to employ.
LACK OF PLANNING
The main problem I see, and that most art instructors are likely to see, is lack of planning in people's work. People get too excited for their idea, and they jump right into their final piece, maybe after doing only one sketch.
From there, they end up struggling as they try to finish the piece. Maybe the background wasn't well planned enough, maybe the pose was too stiff or didn't make sense, maybe the composition is bad, but it's too late to fix, maybe the line art was too sloppy and the piece is suffering, or maybe they
- How long have you been drawing? Most of my life. I didn't pursue rigorous training when I was younger and am now am way, WAAAY behind where I should be. |
- Do you do art requests or trades? Sorry, nope. Between a full-time job, my comic, and sleep, I don't have much time these days.
- Are you open for commissions? Very, very rarely, and only when I post an "open" notice. I love doing commissions, but as above, I just don't have the time.
- Do you do comics for a living? Nope; I'm a technical illustrator by day. I have no plans to make a career out of comics. The money's not so hot, and I think stress would suck a lot of the fun out of it.
- Will you be selling TJ and Amal as a book? Yes, in fact, Volumes 1 and 2 are now on sale, and I am hoping to put out Volume 3 in early 2014. Hopefully, the story will also be collected into a single big volume when it is completely done. In the meantime, it can be read here.